Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bonodori Festival...

Jacob and I went to the Bonodori festival with my friend Kayoko and her mother. We had such a great time experiencing the Japanese culture. Kayoko got dressed up in her summer kimono known as a Yukata and Jacob and I were dressed in a jacket known as a Happi. Kayoko's mother called Jacob the mascot of the festival because everyone wanted to touch him or tell us how cute he was. I was so happy that everyone thought I had a cute kid ( of course I already knew this ). haha Here is a little info on the festival that we went to.

Bonodori Festival

Obon (お盆?) or just Bon (盆?), also referred to as "Day of the Dead,"[1] is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. Also called the Feast of Lanterns, it has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.








































No comments: